The man led his nation out of racial discrimination and into a peaceful democracy. Nelson Mandela is considered to be one of the greatest leaders of our time. Below is a collection of some amazing quotes from Nelson Mandela on leadership and courage. Each quote can be compared to a training centre session on leadership when contemplated as there is a lesson to be learned from each of the quotes.
- It is wise to persuade people to do things and make them think it was their idea.
- The greatest glory in living lies not in falling, but in rising every time, we fall.
- Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.
- What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made in the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.
- After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.
- When the water starts boiling, it is foolish to turn off the heat.
- A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
- A good leader can engage in a debate frankly and thoroughly, knowing that at the end he and the other side must be closer, and thus emerge stronger. You don’t have that idea when you are arrogant, superficial and uninformed.
- There is no passion for being found playing small—in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
- It is better to lead from behind and put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is a danger. Then people will appreciate the leadership.
- I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
- If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you speak to him in his language, that goes to his heart.
- No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
- Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world.
- It always seems impossible until it’s done.
Leadership is a skill which can be learned by taking learnings from training centres dedicated to it. The training centres have well-designed leadership courses to give practical understanding of leadership.