According to an article in the Harvard Health Blog, the first 1,000 days of a child’s life are crucial for their physical and cognitive development. And, food play a vital role in brain development and deciding the future learning, thinking and comprehensive abilities of the child.
For the overall development of a child, pediatricians emphasize that their food should contain adequate amounts of iron, zinc, calcium, proteins, vitamins like B6, B12, fatty acids like Omega-3, iodine, choline, folate and many more. DHA or Docosahexaenoic Acid is also a crucial fatty acid that is necessary for the development of the eyes and nerve tissues. Unfortunately, the body does not produce adequate amounts of this nutrients. You can ensure the right nutrients for your child with a fortified milk powder like Enfagrow A+, which contains DHA, crucial for cognitive and physical growth.
Here’s a look at the five basic types of foods you should also include in your child’s daily diet to help them grow optimially.
5 Brain Foods for Every Child
- Eggs: An article in WebMD suggests that proteins and nutrients present in eggs help children enhance their focus and concentration. Eggs contain a nutrient called Choline, which helps kids retain neural pathways and makes their memory sharp.
- Fish: Fish is a rich source of Vitamin D and fatty acid like Omega-3. These are very essential for the growth and functioning of a child’s brain. A study showed that the consumption of fish has a huge impact on maintaining the integrity of the brain. This is why fish is considered a key brain food, for both children and adults.
- Green Vegetables: You must have seen how Popeye gained his energy and strength from spinach! Well, it is true. Not just green but all coloured veggies are rich in different nutrients and antioxidants, which fight free radicals and promote health of brain cells. So, make sure you include colourful and leafy vegetables like potato, carrot, spinach, etc., in your child’s diet.
- Milk and dairy products: Did you know that probiotics present in dairy products help in brain development? Moreover, milk is a rich source of calcium, Vitamin D, protein and B vitamins that helps in building brain tissue. If your child is a picky eater, add flavour to their milk with a fortified milk powder like Enfagrow A+, which is rich in DHA.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds are full of proteins, essential fatty acids, minerals and vitamins, which are necessary to boost the function of the brain and keep the nervous system in check. So, add nuts like almonds, cashews, walnuts and many more to your kid’s diet.
Apart from the right nutrition, make sure you also help your child experience new things and try new activities that can prove to be the best food for brain development.